Bacolod 'most prepared' for vaccine roll-out, cold storage underway

BACOLOD CITY, March 3 (PIA) –- Bacolod City is ready for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination roll-out with 75.9 percent rating from the Department of Health (DOH), the highest among the cities in Western Visayas and with its cold storage facility underway.

Dr. Mary Jane Roches Juanico, head of the DOH-Western Visayas infectious disease section, announced the rating of Bacolod City as having the “highest readiness” among other cities like by Capiz at 53.4 percent, and Iloilo province at 43 percent.

A cold storage facility is being set up at the Bacolod City Government Center to accommodate about 2 million vaccine doses at a time ready for the 3rd quarter expected arrival of 650,000 doses from AstraZeneca.

Bacolod City mayor Evelio Leonardia said the rating from DOH is an inspiring surprise.

“We simply submitted our Vaccination Roadmap without knowing there was a DOH ranking system. Our unity and teamwork are paying off,” Leonardia said as he gave credit to the efforts of Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, the city councilors, City Administrator Em Ang and the Vaccination Council members.

In the Bacolod vaccination plan, 68 percent of the total population  or 424,992 out of 624,987 individuals are targeted for vaccination while the remaining 32 percent or the 199,995 belong to individuals below 18 years old and not on the list of beneficiaries.

Per DOH guidelines, in Phase 1, Bacolod City eyes to vaccinate health workers, senior citizens, indigents, military, and uniformed personnel, other workers in the frontlines, and people with special needs.

After starting the vaccination simulation exercises, the city is now implementing a massive information and awareness campaign to build up public confidence and acceptance of the vaccines.

According to Leonardia, there are currently 27 identified public vaccination sites in the city while the private sector is offering 13 additional sites making a total of 40 sites for Bacolod City vaccination.*(LTP/EAD-PIA6 Negros Occidental)

Source: Philippines Information Agency (

Post a Comment