OWWA calls for scholarship applicants

SAN FERNANDO City, Jan. 26 (PIA) -- The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)  - Regional Welfare Office 1  is still accepting applicants for the OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP).

The ODSP  is a scholarship program that offers a Php20,000 worth of financial assistance per school year to qualified dependents of OFWs, according to the OWWA pronouncement.


Dependents are either children or siblings of OFWs who have “active OWWA membership with not more than $600.00 monthly salary.”


They may be a sibling of a single and childless OFW or married yet childless one.


For incoming first year applicants, they must be single; not more than 21 years old; and graduating Grade-12 student with a general weighted average (GWA) of 80 percent or its equivalent ratings.


The OWWA statement added, “There are 13 slots per province available for incoming 1st year college for school year 2021-2022.”


While for those interested OFW kin who are currently enrolled from 2nd to 5th year college, they must be single; not more than 30 years old; and with a GWA of 80 percent or equivalent rating.


“There are 12 slots per province. It will be on a first come, first serve basis,” it stated. 


Applicants must be enrolled/will enroll in a state university or any institution accredited by the Commission on Higher Education taking up/will take up any four-year or five-year baccalaureate courses.


They are required to submit a fully-accomplished application form, two copies of 2x2 ID photos, proof of OWWA membership, proof of relationship to OFW like birth certificate, certificate of grades and verified employment contract.


Meanwhile, the application period for the one-time Php30,000 scholarship grant dubbed as 'Tabang OFW' is also on-going.


This is intended for college dependents of repatriated, displaced or deceased OFWs due to the pandemic.


Interested individuals may submit their documentary requirements such as a copy of the OFWs passport, along with his proof of arrival, displacement or death certificate and a copy of the student’s grades or registration through email at tabangofw-ease.owaa.gov.ph. (JCR/VHS/CGRC, PIA La Union)

Source: Philippines Information Agency (pia.gov.ph)

Post a Comment